There are tons of Realtors in Mt. Shasta, CA, with even more in the surrounding towns in which we all work. If you don’t already have a Realtor, how do you know which one to hire?
I covered this topic in a previous post titled, Choosing the Right Realtor to Sell Your Home, and here I’ll expand on specific questions both Sellers and Buyers should be asking when interviewing potential candidates.
Here are 12 Great Questions to Ask Your Realtor:
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Are you a full-time or a part-time Realtor?
- How do you communicate and how often?
- Do you consider yourself a good negotiator?
- In which neighborhoods/areas do you specialize?
- How many sales have you had in the above areas in the past year?
- What approaches will you use to sell the home?
- Can you provide a complete marketing proposal, including past samples of digital and print pieces?
- Beyond the commission, what fees should I be budgeting for?
- Do you have references I can contact?
- Will I be working with you directly, or a member of your team?
- How available is your broker, and what does he/she bring to the transaction?
Finding the Best Match
Whether you choose to use an interview-style Q & A, or casually work these questions into a conversation is up to you. More questions will arise during the course of your discussion, which is great. The point is to discover your potential real-estate representative’s strengths and weaknesses, and make an informed decision on who to hire.
Different people will be seeking different aspects in their Realtor, so it’s often a matter of compatible personalities more than how many sales this person has made or how long they’ve been in the business.
In some cases, the newbies are even more eager, hungry, creative and enthusiastic than the veteran top producers who can occasionally fall into a default “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mode of operation. However, some clients find comfort in that approach, so there’s no one-size-fits-all solution.
Whether buying a new home, or selling your home, you have a lot at stake. Take the time to find a great Realtor who’s going to treat you and your investment with the communication, skills, and respect you deserve. Now, go round up some Realtors and ask away.
Nikolas Allen is a Realtor® with J. Harris & Associates Real Estate in Mt. Shasta, California. He helps people through the complex process of buying and selling their homes. For more real estate news and info, follow him on Twitter @nikolas_allen and Instagram @nikolas_allen.